Director of the Forschungscampus Dahlem (Research Campus Dahlem) and Deputy Director of the Ethnologisches Museum (Ethnological Museum) and the Museum für Asiatische Kunst (Asian Art Museum)
Stellenausschreibung vom 07.09.2018
At the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin – Preußischer Kulturbesitz (National Museums in Berlin – Prussian Cultural Heritage), the post as Director of the Forschungscampus Dahlem (Research Campus Dahlem) and Deputy Director of the Ethnologisches Museum (Ethnological Museum) and the Museum für Asiatische Kunst (Asian Art Museum), Salary grade A 16 BBesO, is to be filled for an indefinite period of time, expectedly as from 1 January 2019.
If the post is filled with a pay-scale employee, a comparable remuneration above the collectively agreed scale will be paid.
With more than one million objects, the Ethnologisches Museum and the Museum für Asiatische Kunst of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin are the largest museums of non-European cultures and belong to the most significant special museums around the world. They preserve internationally significant collections of material and immaterial artistic and cultural assets from America, Africa, the Islamic Orient, South, Southeast, Central, North and East Asia, the South Sea and Australia. The stock of the collection of music ethnology includes the Berliner Phonogrammarchiv, which was inscribed into the UNESCO programme "Memory of the World" in 1999.
Both museums will be presenting the non-European cultures at the Humboldt Forum as from 2020. The collections represented there will be devoted to the dialogue between the world’s cultures and current topics of global relevance from completely different perspectives.
The collections of both museums remain in Dahlem and will, along with the Museum Europäischer Kulturen (Museum of European Cultures) and the Institut für Museumsforschung (Institute for Museum Research) of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin as well as external partners, form the Forschungscampus Dahlem there. Here, the idea of an active, interdisciplinary research association will be brought together with the museum work genuinely placed at the interface between science and public and the museum’s core activities including collecting, preserving, researching as well as exhibiting and mediating.
Area of responsibility:
Management of the Forschungscampus Dahlem in close cooperation with the Museum Europäischer Kulturen, the Institut für Museumsforschung and the head office of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin: • Development of the organisational structure including the technical-organisational requirements for the operation • Development and implementation of a strategy for scientific work at the Forschungs-Campus Dahlem • Initiation and management of national and international research projects with the following focuses:
- Context-based research of collections and objects in close cooperation with cultures of origin
- Provenience research with the focus on object biographies
- Ethnological and art historical research
- On-site research under the aspect of knowledge communication
- Exhibition projects Dahlem on “impact research”
Deputy management of the Ethnologisches Museum and the Museum für Asiatische Kunst and management of the “research” department of both museums. The central task in the next two years will be to participate in the realisation of the restructuring and reorganisation of the collections at the Humboldt Forum in consideration of the special requirements for modern museum work and in cooperation with the general director of the Humboldt Forum. Along with the traditional museum work which includes presenting, exploring, documenting, preserving, collecting and mediating, the examination of globalisation and the dialogue between cultures are of particular importance. The focus of the tasks lies in the coordination and management of the museums’ research services, here particularly in the collection-related object research as well as provenience research.
- University studies of ethnology, cultural sciences, regional sciences, sciences of art and/or related specialist areas, completed with a doctorate
- Leadership personality with proven comprehensive skills and experience in the management of cultural and scientific institutions
- Proven outstanding scientific performances• Years of experience in practical museum work or comparable activities
- Proven skills and experience in modern cultural, scientific and project management as well as the interdisciplinary examination of current, global topics in the cultural area
- Proven experience in successfully acquiring third-party funds and organising major research projects and associations
- Very good national and international networking in the research and museum area
- University teaching experience
- Cooperative and integrating leadership style
- Very good command of the German and English language and, where necessary, Readiness to acquire the necessary German language skills
- Above-average conceptional and organisational skills
- Habilitation or comparable achievements
- Readiness to take part in university teaching
The Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz welcomes applications from persons of all nationalities. As an interdisciplinary cultural and research institution, the SPK offers family-friendly working conditions and ensures equality of men and women. Severely disabled persons will be especially considered if they have the same qualifications.
It is principally possible to fill the post with part-time employees.
Please send us your informative application documents in written form only (no email and no electronic data carrier), specifying the code number SMB-EM/AKu-1-2018, by October 19, 2018 to:
Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz, Personalabteilung, Sachgebiet I 1 b, Von-der-Heydt-Str. 16-18, D-10785 Berlin, Germany
Civil servants will have to submit a present staff report (which is not older than twelve months).
In general, applications may only be returned if a self-addressed stamped envelope is attached.
Contact partner for questions relating to the area of responsibility: Mr Prof. Dr. Koch (tel. +49 30 - 83 01 226)
Contact partner for questions relating to the application procedure: Mrs Dr. Lang (tel. +49 30 - 266 41 1600)
Aktuelle Nachrichten aus der Stiftung
16.10.2018 - Die Interessengemeinschaft Kultur & Bildung Spreeinsel fordert die Senatsbauverwaltung auf, den Bau zusätzlicher Bushalteplätze zurückzustellen und schlägt ein angemessenes und in...
10.10.2018 - Das Projekt „Geteiltes Wissen“ untersucht mit Partnern aus Brasilien, Kolumbien und Venezuela etwa 3.000 Objekte der Sammlung des Ethnologischen Museums. Parzinger: „Arbeit mit den...
09.10.2018 - Das Architekturbüro hat seine Pläne für das Museum des 20. Jahrhunderts der Nationalgalerie überarbeitet. Jacques Herzog spricht von einem „Konzept der Dichte“ für das Berliner...